Waking up to a chilly home on a frosty winter morning isn’t just an inconvenience – it could be an indication that your furnace isn’t functioning optimally.
And while it’s easy to ignore this sign and just bundle up a little more, it might be time for a deeper look into the state of your furnace. It’s essential to understand when to replace a furnace instead of trying to fix it yourself, and we’re here to help you recognize those important signs.
With the insights in this post, you’ll be better prepared to ensure your home stays cozy and warm, no matter what the weather forecast says.
6 of the Most Common Signs You Need a New Furnace
Here are six telltale signs that it’s time to contact a professional to schedule a furnace replacement:
- Your Furnace Is Over 15 Years Old: Have you been wondering, “how often should a furnace be replaced?”. Most furnaces have a lifespan of around 15-20 years. Even if it seems to be running smoothly, older models are not as energy-efficient as newer, high-efficiency furnace units, and this can impact your energy bills significantly.
- Increased Heating Bills: If you notice your heating bills creeping up without a corresponding increase in usage, it could be a sign that your furnace is losing efficiency. As furnaces age, they have to work harder to produce the same amount of heat, which uses more energy.
- Frequent Repairs: Are you calling your HVAC professional more frequently for furnace repairs? If the cost of repairs is mounting, it might be more cost-effective to replace your furnace altogether.
- Uneven Heating in Your Home: If some rooms in your home are too hot while others are too cold, it could be a sign that your furnace is not distributing heat evenly.
- Strange Noises: Older furnaces can start to make strange noises as they reach the end of their life span. If you hear banging, popping, rattling, or squealing sounds, it might be time to replace your furnace.
- Poor Air Quality: Older furnaces can sometimes struggle to filter the air properly, leading to dust and rust particles that can aggravate respiratory conditions.
Should You Repair or Replace Your Furnace?
Decision-making can be challenging for most homeowners when they need a new furnace. Minor problems, like a malfunctioning thermostat or clogged filter, usually only need simple solutions from an HVAC professional; regular maintenance will prevent these minor issues from worsening further and ensure your furnace runs efficiently.
Understanding when it is necessary to replace a furnace is critical; major problems, like cracked heat exchangers or malfunctioning burners can pose significant safety hazards and often cost more to fix than replacement would cost – especially if your furnace has outlived its average lifespan of 15-20 years.
However, it’s important to keep in mind that each furnace is different, and its ideal course of action may depend on your particular circumstances. Therefore, when searching for a replacement furnace it is always advisable to consult an HVAC professional who can make an informed recommendation.
Remember: DIY furnace inspections and repairs may cause further complications and safety risks for both yourself and the home. Leave the HVAC inspections and repairs up to the professionals so that your family remains warm and cozy through winter’s chilliest months.
How to Prepare For a Furnace Replacement in 6 Simple Steps
Knowing when to replace a furnace is only half of the battle; you need to know how to prepare for the process!
Preparing for a furnace replacement involves several steps that homeowners can take to ensure the process is smooth, efficient, and successful.
Here is a step-by-step guide to assist with this significant undertaking:
- Research Your Options: Before embarking on this project, it’s crucial that you conduct thorough research on various furnace models and their respective benefits. When making this important decision for your home, factors like energy efficiency, size, brand reputation and cost must all be taken into consideration to make an informed decision about which replacement furnace would best meet its requirements.
- Contact an HVAC Professional: Once you know when to replace a furnace, reach out to a dependable HVAC professional such as those here at Hurliman Heating & Air Conditioning for guidance on selecting and scheduling an installation date of a furnace that best fits your needs. Our technicians at Hurliman can offer additional advice as well as arrange installation at a convenient time for replacement.
- Clear the Area: To make the task of replacing your current furnace easier for technicians, ensure the area surrounding it is clear of household items or debris – this creates not only a safer working space but also allows work to get done more efficiently.
- Arrange for Pets and Children: For safety purposes, keep children and pets out of the work area on the day of replacement.
- Prepared to Give Enough Time*: Furnace replacement may take several hours so it is wise to set aside enough time for completion without interruptions or setbacks.
- Ask Lots of Questions*: Feel free to ask any of your HVAC professionals any queries about the process of installing your new furnace correctly and safely. They are there to guide and support you during this journey.
Remember, attempting to replace a furnace on your own can be dangerous. Always rely on a professional HVAC service to handle the job. Your safety, comfort, and peace of mind are worth the investment.
When Is It Time to Replace a Furnace? 6 Telling Signs — Conclusion
Understanding when it is necessary to replace your furnace is integral for maintaining an enjoyable, safe, and energy-efficient living experience in your home.
From understanding the signs your furnace needs to be replaced – uneven heating and higher energy bills – to planning its replacement, we’ve provided insightful guides that can assist in making this daunting process a smooth one.
Remember, every furnace is unique and any decision to repair or replace should always be done with expert guidance from Hurliman Heating & Air Conditioning. Should you need expert guidance for making such decisions, don’t hesitate to reach out! We would be more than happy to provide assistance in making informed decisions regarding repair and replacement options for you.
Our team of HVAC specialists is always ready to deliver top-tier service and help you make informed decisions for your home heating system. Reach out today to schedule an appointment or find out more about what services are offered by us!